Monday, April 26, 2010

Its Game Time-Checker Board Table

So I went MIA for a few days...Sorry, just went through a little slump, I have to go back to work this week after having 1 month off. I have really enjoyed my time off.... *sigh*

I had a few projects going on, the only one I'm really ready to reveal is this super cute Checker Board Table. My 6 year old really likes to play games, and sometimes its just a pain to break out the board games, so we don't play as much as we'd like...

My resolution to this little dilemma... make one of the games a piece of furniture that is out all the time, so when we see it, we can play! sounds fun huh?



And here it is... wanna play?

All I did was revamp the top of a little side table I already had in our livingroom.


Here it was before, with a pleather upholstered top. Cute, just could be cuter! and now it is!



First step was to unscrew the top. Then peel away the pleather. I was super lucky, it wasn't all sticky...phew...


I sanded it, then painted it white. taped off the squares one section at a time. To get the color I wanted I got out my craft paints, and mixed up some blue, green, and some brown. PERFECTO!
To add to the look of it, I painted a black border all around the outside...Love it!

Now the best part...Sand the top to age it a bit. I took some dark brown acrylic paint, watered it down then covered the entire top...added just the right tint! woo hoo!

Last but not least I cut some trim, 45 degree angles...for the clean look, painted them espresso to match the base of the table and brad nailed it to the outside, like a frame. then screwed the top back on.

And presto chango now you have a Checker Board Table! Cool Huh! Now I have to figure out what is going to work best for the playing pieces... any suggestions?

See ya soon!

4 comments:

Angie said...

Turned out awesome! As for the playing pieces... I'm sure you'll come up with something fantastic! Sorry you have to go back to work
:( that isn't any fun. Sadly we've come to the conclusion that I need to get a job for a bit myself. I've been a sahm for almost 11 years. I have my first interview today in over 18 YIKES! Hopefully this will be short lived and I can go back to being home for the kids.

Kaysi said...

Wow that looks great! I love how it looks and I love checkers, it's such a fun game!

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

Great job! My son and your son should get together for checkers sometime! ;)

I'm really impressed that you actually painted the top. Great work!
Thanks for Hookin' Up with me at my party!

Shaunna said...

So cute!! I'm getting ready to brave some pattern painting. -shaunna :)

Post a Comment