Thursday, April 29, 2010

Screen Printing The Easy Way!


After cruising through blogland, I ran into a blog called Lil Blue Boo. You have got to check her out! She is awesome, and she has some great tutorials! She silkscreens alot of her stuff, makes her own patterned fabric, daughters clothes, and I could just go on and on. She is Good! Instead of using a big ol silk screen machine for simple designs, she simply uses contact paper, traces the design, cuts it out with an exacto knife, then sticks it to the screen, and squeegees the ink over the design. And Voila! She made it look so simple and cool! I had to try it...

You all know how it is to have that favorite pair of jeans, flip flops, hoodie sweatshirt you don't want to take off, right? Well when my 6 year old son was about 4, he had a favorite black t-shirt. He loved to wear it everywhere, I think because he got a lot of attention when he wore it. It said "Sorry girls, I only date models" (I know, I know) way to encourage it huh? It was cute!

The other day I was picking him up from the bus stop, and almost before he even got in the car he saw his baby brother wearing it...what can I say hand -me-downs are awesome! Well Trevor got really upset and said "Why is Brody wearing my shirt?" Now lets get this straight, if Trevor were to put it on...it would be like spandex on him...way too small.

I felt bad...the little pity party he was putting on didn't help much either. So I was thinking about putting my YUDU to some good use. My hubby got it for me right after Christmas...I think it is super cool, but just kinda complicated for me. I want to do things fast, and see the result NOW!

So heres where the project comes in. I'm gonna make Trevor a new shirt that fits him! hmmm? whatta ya think of that! I went to Joanns got a simple black t-shirt for $3. Then today, I was on a mission. I followed every step...

1 print out the design/saying
2 traced it onto contact/adheisive shelf paper from 99 cent store woo hoo!
3 used my exacto knife to cut it out
4 got out my screen, ink, and squeegee
5 did the deed

plain black t-shirt before


Cute black t-shirt after


And now, I get to see the happy look on my boys face when I pick him up today! (Best Part)
I'll have to update this post later on with a pic of him wearing his new shirt!


And here he is! He loved it by the way! 1 point for mom!
So check back soon...

14 comments:

Angie said...

That is awesome!!! Can't wait to see the photos of him in it!!

Gracefully Vintage said...

Too Cute- you always have these darling makes- those shirts are way too cute- love that phrase- will have to give it a try
Karryann

Brianna! said...

Checking her out now!
xoxo
bB

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

Visiting from new friend friday...love this post!! That shirt is awesome and I never knew you could do that!! Thanks!!

Denise said...

Stopping by from Trendy Treehouse's Follow Me Friday. Already a follower. Want to try this!

Cristine said...

I'm following from NFF! :) I look forward to more posts from you :)
Be sure to check out my blog too!

Margo said...

Visiting from New Friend Friday @ the Girl Creative.. You have some real fun ideas.. Come visit me some time.... :O) I am going to take a look around your blog now!!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Looks easy enough--love the saying! Thanks so much for linking up to my Under $100 linky party.

CraftyMummy said...

Hi! Just dropped by from New Friend Friday - love your blog!!!

Colleen @ MuralMaker&More said...

I'm going to check out how to do the silkscreen but had to follow you first!

Am so glad my boys are all grown & I'm not dealing w/the clothing issue!

Have a great weekend.

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

zvery cute t-shirt! I love Lil Blue Boo too! :)

Frenchy said...

Very nice and funny :)
XOXO
frenchy

Jen said...

Girl, this is my kind of post!! I love DIY ideas! And this shirt idea? So simple yet so frickin' cool! Off to check out Lil Blue Boo now...

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

Very cute! I will have to go check her out, I can't believe it when one person has that much talent! Just not fair I say!

Post a Comment